For my VetYogi foodies, here comes another delicious vegan recipe to tempt your tastebuds! This is perfect comfort food for if you need a little loving after a strenuous day at work, and leftovers (if there are any) can provide tasty lunches.
If you like this recipe, check out Lickthespoonblog where there are plenty of options for vegans, vegetarians, and omnivores. Thanks again to my favourite cook, Rosie, for allowing me to share her culinary creations.
“Food, like a loving touch or a glimpse of divine power, has that ability to comfort.” – Norman Kolpas
From Rosie, with love:
This is the most amazing bolognese sauce. It’s rich, tomato-ey and earthy and has a silky texture. Have this with a glass of red wine for a perfect cozy supper. Oh, did I forget to mention that the sauce is vegan? I really think this fact would surprise anyone who ate it – it’s the perfect dish to persuade meat lovers that by eating veggie dishes they aren’t missing out on flavour.
There are several tweaks here that make this dish special. Firstly, I admit that though it does sound strange to peel an aubergine it really does work here and adds to the silkiness of this dish. Yes, the addition of walnuts is unusual but if you choose to use them does add to the layers of flavours in this sauce (though it is delicious without). Similarly the sprinkle of cinnamon owes more to middle eastern cookery but, along with the sugar, it balances out the acidity of the tomatoes, and you don’t detect it as a separate ingredient.
Do simmer this for the half an hour to let the flavours mingle properly – it makes such a difference. If the sauce is getting too thick add a little water to stop it sticking, the end result will be a rich luscious sauce. Serve with spaghetti and top with vegan Parmesan (I like the Violife one, shown below- VY) and lots of basil. Toss it altogether before serving.
Ingredients (serves 6)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 medium carrot, diced
- 300g chopped chestnut mushrooms
- 1 medium aubergine, peeled and finely diced
- 1 tbsp chopped rosemary
- 75g walnuts, crushed with rolling pin (optional)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp soy sauce (vegan)
- 400g tin chopped tomatoes
- 400g tin cherry tomatoes
- 300g tin lentils, drained
- 1 tsp dried oregano or sage
- 1 tsp sugar
- Large pinch ground cinnamon
- Salt and pepper
Vegan parmesan shavings and basil to garnish.
- Put oil, onion and carrot in a wide frying pan and place over a medium heat
- Allow to soften for 5 mins before adding the mushrooms, aubergines and rosemary
- Season with salt and pepper and cook for 10 mins
- Push vegetables to one side of pan and in the newly created gap add walnuts allowing them to toast for a minute before stirring them into the mix
- Cook for a further 5 minutes till everything is soft and well combined
- Add remaining sauce ingredients and stir well
- Simmer for 20-30 mins so that sauce thickens and the flavour deepens
- Serve with spaghetti and garnish with lots of basil and vegan parmesan