I’m very excited to bring this recipe to VetYogi, because it is one of my favourite dishes! My Godmother and food guru, Rosie (Lickthespoonblog), used to make this for me before I was vegan- and of course it was delicious- but since becoming vegan I am very lucky to have had great support both from her and my Mum, and they have both joined me over the last couple of years in learning more about vegan cooking. Part of Rosie’s culinary cleverness is that she takes a dish I used to love, and transforms it into a vegan version that I love even more! I think this is a dish that everyone can enjoy, because its full of flavour, the non-dairy cheeses provide that melted, gooey texture that gives this meal its comforting edge, and it’s a relief to come home from a busy day and pull this out of the freezer to bake whilst you go and shower the day off. Enjoy!
“Food is symbolic of love when words are inadequate” – Dr. Alan D. Wolfelt
From Rosie, with love:
It’s been a wonderful year for tomatoes and aubergines and I have had a bumper crop! But, to be honest, I’d make this dish at anytime of year as the flavours are somehow rich, lively and vibrant, yet comforting; just what you want in any season. Layers of soft aubergine, bright tomatoes, zingy fresh basil, and stringy vegan mozzarella, topped with a crunchy breadcrumb and vegan parmesan topping. Yum!
This is any easy dish to make ahead. It works well if you want to make it in batches. Once assembled you can freeze it and cook from frozen allowing an extra 10 mins cooking, or take it from the freezer in the morning and allow to defrost and cook as per the recipe time given. Either way it’s easy to tell if it’s heated all the way through if you insert a knife half way down in the middle of the dish, remove and hold it to your lips to see if it’s warm – in which case it’s done!
I hope you try this dish and it becomes one of your favourites, just as it is one of mine (and mine- VY). If you get time, let us know what you think.
Ingredients (serves 4)
- 2-3 aubergines depending on size
- 100ml olive/rapeseed oil (I like to use ones that are garlic infused)
- 2 balls worth of vegan mozzarella
- Jar of passata or 6-8 large tomatoes
- Large bunch of basil
- Panko breadcrumbs
- 25g vegan parmesan
- Salt and pepper
- Slice the aubergines into rounds about the thickness of a pound coin
- Drizzle over the olive oil and season well
- Roast in oven at 180c for 30-40 minutes until lightly browned and cooked through
- If making in individual dishes put a layer of 3-4 tbsp passata or thickly sliced tomatoes at bottom of dish. Use 4x more if making in large dish
- Top the tomato with a layer of the roasted aubergine slices and some nuggets of your chosen mozzarella interspersed with torn basil leaves
- Repeat layers
- Top with a further layer of passata or tomatoes before topping with breadcrumbs and a thick grating of the parmesan
- Cook in oven (180c) for 20-30 mins until golden and bubbling.
I make it in individual dishes but there is nothing to stop you making this in one large dish for a family sharing meal, though you’ll need to adjust the cooking time by adding an extra 15 mins. I usually accompany the dish with either a dressed salad or green beans as a side.